Abortion near Long Island, NY in a Private Office, not a Clinic.
Abortion Pill, Long Island New York
The abortion pill has been FDA-approved since 2000. At All Women’s Care we have treated over 5000 patients with medication abortions and it is an effective way to terminate an early pregnancy. Many women report a medical abortion as being “more private” and “like a miscarriage.” If you make an appointment at a time when we are not doing surgery, your significant other, a friend or relative may accompany you during your consultation with the doctor.
Abortion Pill Information in Long Island, New York
All Women’s Care provides safe and comprehensive treatment for all medication abortions. That means that your sonogram, lab tests and counseling are all done in our office on the same day that you receive the pills.
What is the medication abortion?
It is a non-surgical way to end an early pregnancy by taking medications. At All Women’s Care, we only dispense these medications in the FDA-approved manner. We are not involved in any clinical or experimental trials.
How do these medications work?
Two medications are used to complete an abortion: Mifepristone blocks progesterone, the hormone necessary to maintain a pregnancy and Misoprostol causes the uterus to contract and expel the pregnancy tissue. After a consultation, lab tests to determine blood type and blood count, and a sonogram to determine how far along your pregnancy is, Mifepristone is given orally at our office on the first day. The second medication, Misoprostol, is taken at home 24-48 hours later. Most women expel the pregnancy within 24 hours of taking this medication. Some patients require additional medication if the pregnancy tissue is not completely passed. Approximately 5% of the time the pills do not work and you may require the surgical procedure to complete the abortion. (See below for more options.) Rh-negative women will also receive Rhogam.
What should I expect?
Depending on the gestational age of the pregnancy, most women describe the process as a very heavy period with a lot of cramping. This, however, varies greatly among patients depending on their previous obstetrical experiences. You will have a full consultation concerning this at the time of your visit.
There are companies that are offering the online sale of abortion pills at reduced prices. DO NOT BE FOOLED! These are not medical facilities but companies which claim that it is safe to use the abortion pills without any testing or medical supervision. Their prices do not include sonograms, lab tests, additional medication or follow-up visits which are essential for your safety. We strongly advise against obtaining the pills from one of these companies for the following reasons:
• You may not be getting the FDA-approved medication in the proper dosages.
• You must have a sonogram to confirm that your pregnancy is in the uterus and not an ectopic pregnancy. Ectopic pregnancy is a potentially life-threatening condition if it goes undiagnosed and cannot be treated with the abortion pill.
• You must have a sonogram to determine the gestational age of your pregnancy. The effectiveness of the abortion pills declines after 8 weeks gestation. If the pills fail to end your pregnancy, a surgical procedure is necessary. A medication abortion beyond 8 weeks is also accompanied by a greater risk of pregnancy tissue remaining inside your uterus which requires additional medication or a surgical procedure.
• You must have a test to determine if you have an Rh negative blood type. This is extremely important to know because it can affect your future pregnancies and you may need a medication called Rhogam.
• You must have a sonogram 2 weeks after taking the pills. This is the ONLY way to make sure that the pills worked, you are no longer pregnant, and all the pregnancy tissue is out of your uterus.
How do I obtain a medication abortion?
At the present time, there are 3 ways to obtain the abortion pills (mifepristone/misoprostol) at All Women’s Care:
1) At our office as part of your comprehensive treatment, or
2) From an online retailer, or
3) From certain pharmacies with a doctor’s prescription (this has not yet been approved by the FDA but is projected for later in 2023).
How much does it cost?
At All Women’s Care the one-time cost of all the pills is $200. This includes any additional medication that you may require at subsequent visits to complete the abortion. When you come for your appointment, you will have a sonogram and lab tests in our office and receive the pills all on the same day. A follow-up sonogram is scheduled in 2 weeks to make sure that the pills worked and the abortion is complete. If more pills are required at the follow-up visit, there is no additional cost. Your health insurance usually covers the necessary sonograms and lab tests subject to your deductible and copayment. If you do not have or do not want to use your insurance for privacy reasons, our self-pay price is $400. There are no hidden costs for additional pills or sonograms.
If you require a surgical procedure because the abortion pills did not end your pregnancy or all the tissue did not get expelled from your uterus, then that procedure is done in our office which is fully equipped and accredited to perform office-based surgery. You do not have to go to a hospital or surgicenter unless it is medically indicated. Most insurances, including Medicaid Managed Care, will also cover this surgery if it becomes necessary. If you do not use your health insurance, then our fee for the surgical procedure following a medication abortion is $300.
If you still prefer to obtain the pills online or from a certified pharmacy, we will be happy to counsel you and provide the necessary lab tests and sonograms both before and after you take the medications. In this scenario, when you come for your appointment you will have a sonogram and lab tests in our office and we will provide you with a prescription to obtain the medications. You would then have a follow-up sonogram 2 weeks later.
Regardless of where you choose to purchase the medication, All Women’s Care will be here to guide you and provide the testing necessary to assure a safe and successful outcome.
All Women's Care - Long Island, New York in Nassau County
Well-Woman Care & Abortion in New York
Free Pregnancy Test, STD Screening, GYN Exams, Birth Control, Ultrasound, Morning After Pill (Plan-B), Sonograms, Non-surgical Abortion Pill (RU-486, Mifeprex, Mifepristone)
444 Community Drive
Suite LL 3
Manhasset, NY 11030